Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Relaxer Update 1

what's done is done, there's no turning back...

Got my relaxer today.

The stylist used Mizani. She based around my head and the tips of my ears, as usual. Then she started putting in the relaxer. I noticed she was very sloppy when doing it. She would slap the relaxer into my hair then run her fingers through my hair. Yes, there was relaxer on her hands. So part of my already relaxed hair got relaxer on it. I didn't want to be rude and tell her how to do her job, so I continued to silently watch in terror of the damages she was doing. It started to burn quickly so she rinsed it out sooner than planned. I was worried my hair wouldn't be bone straight like I like it to be. However, it relaxed nicely.

So then it was time to style it. For whatever reason I chickened out and didn't ask for the four braids to the back. Why you might ask? Who does that? Who goes to the salon just to get four braids? I knew she would have looked at me funny and asked why in the world I would have wanted that. What would I have said? "Oh, I'm on a hair journey and I'm currently in a challenge to not use heat for two months for health reasons so my hair will grow." She wouldn't have taken me seriously. Probably wouldn't have braided it anyways. Sigh.

So then they sat me under the dryer (which I was fine with) and put me with a magazine of hair styles. Nothing really caught my eye until this girl was on the page with half her hair twisted and the other half curly. Not really a style I like, but this was the first style that my hair seemed long enough for and I was ready to leave.

Apparently that style would have cost me an additional $55 to the $45 I was already paying because of the curls. A roller set would have been expensive too. And flexi rods. So, the only thing I could get done was a darn wrap. Yup. She flat ironed it. No, she didn't just flat iron it. She sat me under the dryer, blow dried it, then flat ironed it. No heat protection. Not what I wanted. All I could afford.

So I'm done with the heat challenge. I don't see a point in continuing to do it since I already broke the #1 rule. This does NOT mean I will start using heat on my hair regularly though. This just means I can use direct heat on my hair once or twice a month if I choose to. I will use indirect heat for roller-set saran wrap methods though as often as I want to. (Ulovemegz-youtube-does the same thing)

I'll post pics later. I'm too upset to do so now.

No comments:

Post a Comment