Friday, November 12, 2010

hmm... is aphogee too much protein for my hair? Protein-Moisture education

So earlier i wrote a blog entry about how much i LOVED aphogee. that was about two days after i used it and before i unwrapped my hair this morning. I unwrapped my and was about to moisturize and seal my hair and for the first time today i felt it. My hair was super hard. :( It doesn't feel good at all so right now I have DC in my hair with a plastic cap on. i don't know how to describe it. My hair didn't have that flow and was hard to bend and when i put moisturizer in it it didn't do ANYTHING! So I decided to do a late night DC before I go to bed. I want to leave it in for a LONG time to make sure my hair feels better by the time i go to bed. So the next time i use aphogee, I'll use the Silk Elements shampoo and the 2 minute recon. or I'll use the aphogee shampoo and silk elements conditioner to hopefully balance out the protein-moisture to make sure this tragedy doesn't happen again. (when i run out of SE, I got my eye on elasta qp stuff!)

Protein:
Protein is used to give structure, build strength and give structure to hair. If protein is used correctly, it will leave hair soft, full, smooth and healthy. Because I have relaxed hair, i need more protein than people with natural hair. (also, people with color-treated hair need more protein as well) When your hair has too much protein, it can cause problems. your hair will start to:
feel dry
look frizzy
feel like straw
easily tangles
breaks easily with little tension or stress
stiff
lacks elasticity

Moisture:
Moisture and black hair just go together. Like spaghetti and meat sauce, Bert and Ernie, french fries and ketchup. Because black hair is likely to be porous,  moisture easily passes through the cuticle layer of the hair this loss of moisture causes black hair to be dry which means we need to moisturize it a lot more often compared to people of European decent. This is why it is important to moisturize and seal every night if you want to grow your hair. If used correctly, moisture will make your hair soft and increase elasticity. However, if you use too much your hair:
will become 'mushy' or 'soggy' (especially when wet)
weak
limp

This is why a strong moisture-protein balance is needed to make sure your hair is growing and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment